Rolling block22

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Rifles
Post Reply
Mlschnei
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2026 7:09 pm

Rolling block22

Post by Mlschnei »

I bought this gun advertised as a No.5.
Is it a No. 4 or ??????

Serial number is J254676
Barrel length is 21 3/4”
Octagon barrel

Marks are:
Remington Trade Mark
Remington Arms-union metallic cartridge Co.
Remington works. Ilion New York USA
.22 short or long

I would appreciate any information anyone could provide.
Attachments
IMG_4529.jpeg
IMG_4529.jpeg (123.52 KiB) Viewed 74 times
IMG_4531.jpeg
IMG_4531.jpeg (105.67 KiB) Viewed 74 times
IMG_4532.jpeg
IMG_4532.jpeg (100 KiB) Viewed 74 times
marlinman93
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:47 pm

Re: Rolling block22

Post by marlinman93 »

It is indeed a #4 takedown Rolling Block rifle. These were made from 1890-1932. Your barrel rollstamp would indicate it was made in the early after WWI. There were approximately 55,000 of these made with the J prefix and they were the first Model 4 to get the crowned barrel. Prior to this they were simply cut flat at the muzzle. Your number is near the first to be crowned, so it may or may not be a crowned barrel. If it has a screw adjustable rear sight that feature was added in 1922. (I think I see an adjustment screw on your sight, which makes it 1922 or later)
Hope this helps.
Mlschnei
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2026 7:09 pm

Re: Rolling block22

Post by Mlschnei »

Thank you so much for the reply.
AI tells me 1910-1920.
There are two screws on the rear sight.
I can provide additional pics.
Very cool little rifle. Test fires, all split/jammed and
had to be extracted with rod.
marlinman93
Posts: 492
Joined: Sat Aug 14, 2004 10:47 pm

Re: Rolling block22

Post by marlinman93 »

You're welcome.
As usual AI is again wrong. With the info you gave and the screw adjustment for elevation f=on the rear sight it makes it post WWI era. John Gyde' wrote a fantastic book on Remington's various .22 rimfire rifles with wonderful technical and historical info. Unfortunately it's been out of print for decades and prices on it used are obscenely high! John was a local to me and I got my copy from him when it first came out and use it often for reference.
Post Reply