Model 1894 help

Topics related to Pre - 1898 Remington Shotguns
Zoso

Model 1894 help

Post by Zoso »

Hello all, new member to the forum here. My grandfather unfortunately passed recently and although his gun collection is now with my grandmother, i have acquired many of his parts and projects he never got around to completing. Among these is a damascus model 1894 with the action seemingly intact, however i am just missing a stock. It seems as though cottage craft works sells an aftermarket stock, but i figured i would try my hand at obtaining an original. If anybody has any leads or possibly has one themselves that they would be willing to let go of, i would be interested in purchasing. Thanks guys
Researcher

Re: Model 1894 help

Post by Researcher »

Remington Hammerless Double stocks were hand fitted and are not interchangeable. There were light and heavier frames, and circa 1905/6 the action was changed with different hammers and sears. The unfortunate facts of life are that the cost of properly restocking a Remington Hammerless Double by one of those who have the ability would be above the market value of the finished product for anything below a C-Grade.
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

First, are you sure it's an 1894? The Model 1900 also has a patten date of 1894 stamped on the water table and forearm iron. The mayor difference is the method of forearm attachment with the 1900 using a snape type while the 1894 used the Dealey type (a "button" on the end of the forearm). Although many parts interchange, the 1900 was a less costly version of the 1894. Both models were discontinued in 1910.

I agree with Researcher but semi inletted stocks are available and might be a great winter project.
Zoso

Post by Zoso »

It does have the snap forend. Ideally i would like to get this gun back to fireable condition. My grandpa was really into damascus SxS guns and for the time being this is the only one i have that was his. Would love to be able to take this gun on the occasional pheasant hunt. Sounds like a semi inletted stock is my best (or only) option so i will go that route. I also got from his shop what i believe to be a model 12 pump .22 missing the bolt that i plan to restore as well
dieNusse1

Post by dieNusse1 »

I should have mentioned that the S/N for 1900s start with 3 while the 1894s start with 1. The 1900 were offered as a K grade in 4 different versions.

K - Remington steel barrels with extractors
KE - Remington steel barrels with ejectors
KD - Damascus barrels with extractors
KED - Damascus barrels with ejectors