Remington UMC 1911

Topics related to Post - 1898 Remington Pistols
RichmondAuctions

Remington UMC 1911

Post by RichmondAuctions »

Hi folks,
We just got in two Remington UMC 1911's. How do I find out if the frames are the original and it's not a "Frankenstein" 1911?
Both frames are stamped with the "UNITED STATES PROPERTY", both have Remington slides and period correct diamond checkered grip panels but...
The serial numbers are stamped differently. One is larger and more spread out, the other is smaller and closer together.
The numbers are; 268516 with JMH proomark and the other 12707 with EEC proofmark.
Any help would be much appreciated!
ChuckD

Re: Remington UMC 1911

Post by ChuckD »

If they are parkerised, they were arsenal refinished. There is a good possibility that the frames and slide might not match.
I have a Rem-UMC slide on a Colt frame, and consider it period correct. I don't have the book handy, but I don't believe Remington
made as many as 200,000 1911's I'm sure one of them members will have more specific information.
aardq

Re: Remington UMC 1911

Post by aardq »

Hi Richmond Auctions,

Remington 1911s are easy to ID. The slide has the "REM-UMC" in two lines enclosed in a circle. The frame serial marking on a Rem has a large N and a large O, followed by the number. Colt pistols have a large N with a small o next to the top of the N. As Chuck said, all WW-1 pistols were blued, but many were parkerized during arsenal rebuilds. All Rem 1911s have the EEC inspector's mark. No Rem 1911 has a six digit serial number, so that gun has a Colt frame.

If you have two REM-UMC slides, maybe you should look for a 1911 with a Rem frame and a Colt slide and switch slides so that both guns would be correct.

Daniel